jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: wanted to know is JackRabbit is stable
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 14:15:26 GMT
Hi,

On 4/17/07, Pablo Rios <prios@bea.com> wrote:
> > The most notable problems currently are support for concurrent
> > versioning operations...
>
> Are you referring to the implications of JCR-314 issue only, or are
> there any other design consideration ?

No, the concurrent versioning problem is more fundamental, dating all
the way back to JCR-18.

The problem with concurrent versioning is that the version store
shared by all workspaces, so locking the workspace-specific
SharedItemStateManager isn't enough to guarantee atomic access to the
versioning store. There's a separate locking mechanism for the version
store, but the exact locking sequences and interactions are not very
well managed, leading to potential consistency issues and even
deadlocks when versioning operations are performed in parallel.