jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Index/data corruption
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:19:10 GMT
Willis Morse wrote:
> Is the indexing done asynchronously?

no, but it is also not completely synchronously ;)

the query handler writes a forward log with the index changes. then the changes
are indexed but not immediately written to disk. this is done synchronously. you
can configure an idle time for the in memory part of the index to be written to
disk.

some part of the indexing may be asynchronous, but not by default: text
extraction from nt:resource nodes. if you configure the extractorPoolSize
parameter in the SearchIndex element.

See: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-390

> In my Swing app, I might do something like this:
>
>     session.save();
>     session.logout();
>     System.exit();
>
> Is this safe?

this depends on how you instantiated the repository. if you are using a
TransientRepository it should be safe because once the session (assuming it is
the only session your application uses) logs out the underlying repository is
also shutdown.

if you started jackrabbit manually you should also shut it down before you exit
the jvm. I say should because jackrabbit is able to handle this case and also
the derby database. even though this is not the preferred way, because it forces
  derby but also the query handler to potentially process a forward log when
jackrabbit is started the next time. so, whenever possible you should shut down
jackrabbit properly before you exit the jvm (under the assumption that you are
using jackrabbit in-process and not via rmi).

> If not, how do we programmatically determine when it is safe to exit the
> app?

Call RepositoryImpl.shutdown() when you are finished using jackrabbit and then exit.

regards
  marcel