jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Rhodes <spamsu...@rhoderunner.com>
Subject Re: associating jackrabbit content to your application database objects?
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:28:12 GMT
Okay everyone, this is what I am thinking of doing...

My application allows users to upload images, pdfs, word documents, etc..  My users can associate
these nodes to objects in a database (i.e. user can pick a photo to use for their profile)

In order to make these associations, I am going to store a representation of the Content (image,
html snippet, pdf document) in a database using the hibernate annotations/springframework.
 I will keep the two (jackrabbit and db) in sync (TBD)

Benefits to using jackrabbit:
1) Do not have to write any lucene indexing code for my content.  If someone adds a pdf document,html
document, whatever, it's indexed and available for searching
2) Hierarchical structuring of content.
3) jcr access to content repository
4) ability to use jackrabbit versioning capabilities (e.g.  can rollback to image for a product
to a previous version)

Can anyone think of any additional benefits?

Since this library i have is under apache license, can you think of any additional content
types that I should represent in the database?  Perhaps, I should go with a table to represent
an infinite number of node types vs. specific tables per type (one table called jackrabbit_item
vs. tables called image_content,html_content,textile_content).

I would like this to be a good bridge from the database to jackrabbit/jcr repos.

Phillip