jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Shaun Barriball" <sbarr...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject RE: associating jackrabbit content to your application database objects?
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:53:17 GMT
Hi Phillip,

We have addressed a similar problem with our JCR-170 based application.

While we want all the benefits of JackRabbit we also need to be able to use
traditional relational database tables for reporting. We've solved this by
creating a small number of tables that represent our "Content Warehouse".
We've then implemented an standard JCR EventListener which filters JCR
events looking for anything that requires an update to the warehouse.

Of course, there are some situations where an Event may be cause an error
etc and therefore the Warehouse gets out of date. In this scenario it may
also justify a batch sync facility, perhaps run on startup, which ensures
the Warehouse is 100% consistent.

This strategy is working well for us.

Regards,
Shaun.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phillip Rhodes [mailto:spamsucks@rhoderunner.com]
Sent: 24 April 2007 21:44
To: users
Subject: associating jackrabbit content to your application database
objects?

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone has thought about this problem.  I store different
types of objects in jackrabbit (e.g. Images, Thumbnails, Galleries, Html
Content, etc)...  In my application, I have a database model (e.g. products,
profiles).  Each object in my database model is associated to jackrabbit
content.  For example, a product may have images.

I find myself having to create database objects that represent my jackrabbit
items.  For example, I will create a "Image" object that is a database
object.  This database record that represents an image node in jackrabbit is
associated to products, and stores the path to the node that stores the
image...

One problem that I am concerned about is the possiblity of my jackrabbit
repository getting out of sync with my database table.  There may be other
issues that I haven't considered.

I would appreciate some thoughts on this.
Thanks!

Phillip