jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexandru Popescu" <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Impossible to manipulate lucene directly?
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:24:17 GMT
On 3/19/07, Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reutegger@gmx.net> wrote:
> alartin wrote:
> >    What can I do if I need some search engine like search functions rather
> > than XPath or SQLs? For example, I store some information in nodes, say one
> > webpage content per node and I want to find "similar pages" according to
> > their cotents. This is a simple task when I use lucene directly. But what
> > can I do if I use jackrabbit as underlying layer?
>
> well, not much, because the API you are using is JCR and not lucene. but see
> also below.
>
> >   And what can I do if I need some short description of the hit and
> > highlight the query terms??
>
> you have to create that manually.
>
> >   It seems Lucene is only used as a search library to implement the JCR
> > sepecification, doesn't  it?
>
> that's correct.
>
> > Is it possible to manipulate Lucene directly?
>
> no.
>
> But here's what you can do: create jira issues and describe exactly what you
> would like to see as an enhancement. also try to think about how to integrate
> this into jackrabbit or the query languages without affecting JCR compliance.
> e.g. I could imagine a pseudo property or function in XPath: jr:highlight()
> which returns an xml snippet with text extracts and highlighted search terms.
>
> regards
>   marcel

Thanks for the answer Marcel. At the first glance it looks like what
you are saying is that this cannot be done through JCR API, which is
something I already was aware of. What I am really wondering is if
there is any way I can put my hands on the Lucene classes so that I
can use those for querying the indexing (so not JCR API, but rather a
"hack").

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.