jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Nandana Mihindukulasooriya" <nandana....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to start thinking in JCR
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2007 06:31:57 GMT
On 3/23/07, Brian Thompson <elephantium@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice relational modeling - your data below would fit quite neatly into a
> database.  Keeping in mind that JCR nodes fall naturally into a tree
> structure, how are you thinking of organizing the nodes that will store
> your Users, BlogEntries, etc?

Yes, this a very simplified version how I keep the blog related to the mblog
application which I'm currently involved. There I use a RDBMS, so it was
designed with those guidelines in mind. What are the things one should
consider if migrating from RDBMS to JCR.  What are the common pitfalls ? So
if I put it to in to a hierarchy like this

            - Users
                     -   BlogEntry
                           - Comment
                           -  Rate
                           - Image Attachment

         or
                 - Users
                 - Year
                       - Month
                              - Date
                                   - Blog Entry
                                             - Comment
                                             - Rate
                                             - Image Attachment

Would this be a a good hierarchy ? What do I think when choosing a hierarchy
? Choosing the correct hierarchy must make it easy to search and navigate
and it would also increase the performance , isn't it ?

What are the other possible options I have ?

Also, do you have ideas on how to guarantee unique IDs for your data and
> maintain referential integrity?  In my mind, there are some obvious
> answers, but it may be more valuable for you as a learning exercise to
> ponder these questions a bit :)

Under the first hierarchy referential integrity is automatically preserved,
isn't it ? How do I preserve the integrity if I go to the second option ?

It might also be valuable to consider doing a different sort of example
> application.  When I started investigating Jackrabbit, I saw one or two
> articles (with code snippets) that used a simple blog application as the
> example to demonstrate basic Jackrabbit operations.

Yes,  I would  like to change the  scope of the project  ( of course , it is
the mentor I think who can take and guide me to the those decisions )
according to the discussions in the mailing list. As I am new to jackrabbit
I will depend a lot on the jackrabbit community and I planning to do the
project with the help of jackrabbit community. Anyway I am ready put a
considerable  time to for the GSoc project and I will always keep a healthy
communication with the community.

Good luck on your GSOC project!

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your advices and the guidance.

-Brian

BR,

Nandana