jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Nandana Mihindukulasooriya" <nandana....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2007 - jackrabbit-jcr-demo
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:17:09 GMT
Hi,

On 3/20/07, Miro Walker <miro.walker@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 3/20/07, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >        But wouldn't it make the application complex to use as a
> reference to
> > > new comers ? Keeping my goal as to keep this application as a
> reference to
> > > new comers would I be able to build a full featured Wiki ?
> >
> > Exactly. I'm inclined to prefer a simple blog application than a wiki,
> > as blogs are nowadays more familiar to many people and the purpose of
> > this GSoC project is to create an example application rather than to
> > seriously compete with existing fully featured content applications
> > out there.
>
> Hm - although I agree that a Blog might be simpler, I think it' would
> be useful to showcase the versioning operations if it's meant to be a
> demo app for Jackrabbit. This is an area where many people struggle to
> understand the spec and a real example could be very useful. On the
> other hand, this area of Jackrabbit is pretty byzantine, so you may be
> making trouble for yourself if you go down this route. Personally, I
> don't see why either a blog or a wiki need be "fully featured". It's a
> demo after all...
>
> Miro

         Can we keep the demo application as a blog and allow some posts to
be edited. So we can show versioning capabilities of JCR also. Like we have
both non-editable and editable (by the blog owner)  posts in the blog. One
point is if we allow editing on posts, comments made on the post must be
associated with the correct version of the post or it will make the comments
irrelevant. Same goes with the ratings. So I will be able to  do the demo
application in two phases and include the versioning part in the second
phase. Hopefully I will be quite familiar with Jackrabbit after the first
phase and will be able get over with versioning.Thank you very much for the
feedback.

Regards,
Nandana