jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Nandana Mihindukulasooriya" <nandana....@gmail.com>
Subject Google Summer of Code 2007 - jackrabbit-jcr-demo
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:16:21 GMT
Hi,
       I'm Nandana Mihindukulasooriya from University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka
and I'm doing a major in Computer Science and Engineering. I hope to
participate in Google summer of code 2007 and I'm interested in the proposal
"JCR Demo Application based on Jackrabbit". (
http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2007#jackrabbit-jcr-demo). I'm
totally new to Jackrabbit but after seeing the proposal I went through the
Jackrabbit site. So  I downloaded the JSR 170 specification and going
through it now. I am also going through the JCR articles and applications.
      Although I'm new to Jackrabbit I have some experience with java web
application development. I have developed quite a lot of web applications
using servlets and JSPs. I am quite familiar with working on Tomcat. These
days I'm working on a project for a local  telecom operator to develop a
mblog (mobile blog) . There we are using EJBs. We are using JBoss and MySql
for that. I have some experience in web services too and I'm bit familiar
with Apache Axis 2 project.
     I'm planning to make the demo blog application as a jsp/servlet based
application. I think it will make the application simple and will help to
highlight the JCR related stuff better. Hope that will be able to run live
from jackrabbit site. I will include user management, text blogging, image
attachments, video attachments, comments and blog entry ratings in the demo
blog application. I will use level 1 and level 2 functionalities of the
repository plus additional repository features like observation to generate
alerts, locking to prevent some content from being editing and versioning.I
will use the default persistence model (embedded database) in Jackrabbit,
since it will make it easy to understand for a new comer. I am planning to
use deployment model 2 - "Shared J2EE resource model" for deployment.
     Main idea of this project is to develop a demo application which can be
used as a reference to new users of Jackrabbit and to show how JCR
functionalities can be used  in practice. So I will pay good attention on
documentation and will always try to make the application as simple as
possible. As most of you have passed this phase of a new comer and have
build similar applications on JCR, I would really  appreciate if you could
advice me on how to improve the demo application so that it would be more
effective as a reference to a new comer to Jackrabbit. If you can comment on
the design decisions that I have taken that would be very helpful too.

Thank you in advance,
Nandana Mihindukulasooriya