jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2007 - jackrabbit-jcr-demo
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:45:48 GMT
Hi,

On 3/20/07, Nandana Mihindukulasooriya <nandana.cse@gmail.com> wrote:
>        First of thank you very much for you advice. First I thought of a
> blogging application because I'm familiar with blogging web applications as
> I'm already doing a blogging application even though I don't use Jackrabbit
> for it. So I have some knowledge about the domain.
>
>        But after your advice, yes, I may be able to show some of the JCR
> features better on a Wiki than a blog. I think features like versioning and
> text search will be more visible in a wiki than a blog. So it would be a
> better idea to implement a demo wiki application.
>
>        But wouldn't it make the application complex to use as a reference to
> new comers ? Keeping my goal as to keep this application as a reference to
> new comers would I be able to build a full featured Wiki ?

Exactly. I'm inclined to prefer a simple blog application than a wiki,
as blogs are nowadays more familiar to many people and the purpose of
this GSoC project is to create an example application rather than to
seriously compete with existing fully featured content applications
out there.

However, I don't want to limit the selection of the application too
much. Whatever you feel most familiar with is good. :-)

>         About the time line, this is the time line Google has specified.
> March 24: Student application deadline
>         Interim Period: Mentoring organizations review and rank student
> proposals
> April  9: List of accepted student applications published on code.google.com
>         Interim Period: Students learn more about their project communities
> May   28: Students begin coding for their GSoC projects
>
>        But I'm planning to start on this project as soon as possible. Even
> these days I'm going through the JSR 170 specification and other Jackrabbit
> related resources. I think I would be able to get help from the community in
> the future too as these advices.

Great news! Note that we have a few other students applying for the
project as well, and that your application will also compete against
all the other ASF projects as we only have a limited number of GSoC
slots to fill. In any case I really appreciate your active interest
and would like to encourage other students to follow the example of
engaging the Jackrabbit community already in this early phase!

>         About the source code,
>       We should upload the source code to code.google.com/hosting as a
> requirement of the Summer of code program. In addition to that, I think my
> mentor will be able to publish the source code in the Jackrabbit site.

Correct. Last year we attached patches to a Jira issue created for the
GSoC project, but that solution was a bit cumbersome to use. I'm
checking if we could arrange some limited svn access (a contrib
subproject) or some other mechanism to avoid the extra overhead.

>       Thank you once again and your feedback will really help me to improve.

Thanks from me as well! I'd like to encourage everyone to support
Nandana and other GSoC applicants with whatever questions they may
have.

BR,

Jukka Zitting