jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SessionImpl.export*View() serialize with prolog set to UTF-8
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 16:28:01 GMT
Hi,

On 3/9/07, anton_slutsky <aslutsky@applevac.com> wrote:
> I'm running into a nasty little problem with the export*View() methods on
> Session.  It looks like the OutputStream implementation has the encoding
> part of the xml prolog hardcoded to UTF-8.  Thats fine for serializing, but
> blows up when deserializing if I have any non-ascii content (my app is
> i18n'd to spanish).  I've written a workaround and used my own
> ContentHandler, but I'm wondering if UTF-8 is big enough for general usage?

Do you have some alternative in mind? I don't see anything wrong with
UTF-8, it's as standard as it gets when working with Unicode and
internationalized applications.

If you need some specific encoding, then your solution is correct,
i.e. use your own ContentHandler that serializes the data in whatever
encoding you want. Using javax.xml.transform.sax.SAXTransformerFactory
is probably the easiest standard way to achieve that.

BR,

Jukka Zitting