jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Sriram Narayanan" <sriram...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Database PersistenceManagers (was "Results of a JR Oracle test that we conducted)
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:18:12 GMT
Hi:

I've read this complete thread, and am responding to the first post on
the thread.

On 3/3/07, Bryan Davis <brdavis@bea.com> wrote:
> What persistence manager are you using?

OraclePersistenceManager

> This problem isn't as noticeable when you are using embedded Derby and
> reading/writing to the file system, but when you are doing a network
> operation to a database server, the network latency in combination with the
> serialization of all database operations results in a significant
> performance degradation.
>

> The new bundle persistence manager (which isn't yet in SVN) improves things
> dramatically since it inlines properties into the node, so loading or
> persisting a node is only one operation (plus the additional connection for
> the LOB) instead of one for the node and and one for each property.  The
> bundle persistence manager also uses prepared statements and keeps a
> PM-level cache of nodes (with properties) and also non-existent nodes (which
> permits many exists() calls to return without accessing the database).

Hmm... are you saying that it's possible to have better results as
compared to what I've reported at
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.jackrabbit.user/2436 ?

> There is a persistence manager with an ASL license called
> "DataSourcePersistenceManager" which seems to the PM of choice for people
> using Magnolia (which is backed by Jackrabbit).  It also uses prepared
> statements and eliminates the current single-connection issues associated
> with all of the stock db PMs.  It doesn't seem to have been submitted back
> to the Jackrabbit project.  If you Google for
> "com.iorgagroup.jackrabbit.core.state.db.DataSourcePersistenceManager" you
> should be able to find it.

Ack. I'll go download the magnolia source. I tried doing so just now
but I got a page not found. I'll try again later, and write to the
webmaster at magnolia if required.

> Finally, if you always use the Oracle 10g JDBC drivers, you do not need to
> use the Oracle-specific PMs because the 10g drivers support the standard
> BLOB API (in addition to the Oracle-specific BLOB API required by the older
> 9i drivers).  This is true even if you are connecting to an older database
> server as the limitation was in the driver itself.  Frankly you should never
> use the 9i drivers as they are pretty buggy and the 10g drivers represent a
> complete rewrite.  Make sure you use the new driver package because the 10g
> driver JAR also includes the older 9i drivers for backward-compatibility.
> The new driver is in a new package (can't remember the exact name off the
> top of my head).

Oh. Thanks for this information. I'll look up this and ensure that I
use the Oracle 10g drivers.

> Bryan.

-- Sriram