jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Brian Thompson <elephant...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to start thinking in JCR
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:26:26 GMT
Comments interleaved below:

Nandana Mihindukulasooriya wrote:
> On 3/23/07, Brian Thompson <elephantium@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, this a very simplified version how I keep the blog related to the
> mblog
> application which I'm currently involved. There I use a RDBMS, so it was
> designed with those guidelines in mind. What are the things one should
> consider if migrating from RDBMS to JCR.  What are the common pitfalls ? So
> if I put it to in to a hierarchy like this
>
>            - Users
>                     -   BlogEntry
>                           - Comment
>                           -  Rate
>                           - Image Attachment
>
>         or
>                 - Users
>                 - Year
>                       - Month
>                              - Date
>                                   - Blog Entry
>                                             - Comment
>                                             - Rate
>                                             - Image Attachment
>
> Would this be a a good hierarchy ? What do I think when choosing a
> hierarchy

Both of these hierarchies would work reasonably well.  Personally, I'd
lean towards a slight modification on the second option as a way of
organizing data instead of having (eventually) thousands of BlogEntry
nodes as immediate children of the User.

I would put Year under User instead of alongside it, though:

- Users
     - Year
         - Month

> ? Choosing the correct hierarchy must make it easy to search and navigate
> and it would also increase the performance , isn't it ?
>
> What are the other possible options I have ?
>
> Under the first hierarchy referential integrity is automatically preserved,
> isn't it ? How do I preserve the integrity if I go to the second option ?

Both hierarchies (if you use my modification) preserve referential
integrity; in my proposed model, you simply have to call
Node.getParent() a couple of extra times.  With Years as siblings of
Users instead of children of users, you'd have to include a reference to
the User in the BlogEntry node.  Taking a look at the Node Types/Node
Type Notation pages
(http://jackrabbit.apache.org/doc/nodetype/index.html and
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/doc/nodetype/cnd.html) should give you some
ideas.

One other thing to look at is the mix:referenceable mixin type that
Jackrabbit offers.  Reading up on it should give you some ideas on how
to retrieve arbitrary blog entries.

Oh, one other thing:  In your model, do you ever expect the same image
to be attached to multiple BlogEntries?

-Brian