jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Database PersistenceManagers (was "Results of a JR Oracle test that we conducted)
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:06:59 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> further note that write operations must occur within a single jdbc
>> transaction, i.e. you can't get a new connection for every store/destroy
>> operation.
>
> I think this is a design flaw. On the other hand we require
> persistence managers to be "dumb" components, but then we rely on them
> for complex features like transactions.

I'd say those components are 'simple' rather than 'dumb' or 'complex'. the
requirements are therefore also relatively simple: operations must have A(C)ID
properties.

A) a change log must be persisted as a whole or not at all
C) this is actually handled by the upper level
I) while a change log is persisted a read must not see partially stored content
D) durability, well you get the idea...

to implement those requirements you don't necessarily need a database (as you
pointed out in another thread ;)).

regards
  marcel