jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: SimpleWebdavServlet: problems with LOCK and UNLOCK
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 16:01:30 GMT
Angela Schreiber schrieb:
> hi
>
> if i'm not mistaken JCR-441 deals with session-scoped locks,
> that must be released whenever the lock-holding session
> is logged out.
>
> however, the simple-dav-servlet does create open-scoped
> locks. during normal workflow Word unlocks the resource as soon
> as a user has finish editing the document by closing it.
>
> but you are right, if you shut down the server that lock
> will not be released. this is a general issue with
> open-scoped locks: if you loose the lock-token there is
> no reasonable way to remove the lock.
>
> i don't think that its the job of the webdav-servlet to
> guess if an open-scoped lock should be released or not.
> this is rather an 'administrator' task to make sure, that
> such abandoned locks can be removed again.

I agree with the analysis.

Although: what we've got here is a mismatch between JCR and WebDAV
semantics. WebDAV clients such as MS Office frequently use lock
timeouts, so that if client or server go down, the lock disappears at
some point of time. This way, the client does not have to remember the
lock token.

That problem will not go away, unless the server finds a way to simulate
the expected WebDAV behavior. Maybe we should consider lock time out
handling for JCR 2.0, after all?

Best regards, Julian