jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Waldemar Baraldi" <waldemar.bara...@globant.com>
Subject RE: Internationalization of property values
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 15:28:49 GMT
Thanks guys, I think I will implement something like Brian's option 2 (very
similar to Tobia's suggestion).

By the way, Brian, how would you recognize to which language a value in the
multi-valued property corresponds in Option 3? I ask because I haven't
discarded it completely :-).

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Thompson [mailto:elephantium@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:45 PM
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Re: Internationalization of property values

The way I see it, you have three options:

Option 1:  Separate nodes, one for each language.  If you maintain separate
workspaces (again, one for each language), you can create the initial movie
node and clone() it to the other language workspaces.
Each language-version of the movie node will then share the same UUID,
making lookups easier (just log in to the appropriate workspace when you're
looking for a particular language's version of movie data).

If you don't go with multiple workspaces, it gets trickier - you could build
a logical linked list with node references, but that seems harder to deal

Option 2:  One movie node, multiple child nodes for languages.  Create all
the child nodes as the same type (movie:properties or something similar),
and put your properties on the child nodes.

Option 3:  Make each property multi-valued.  This keeps all language
versions of each property all in the same place, simplifying insertion and
retrieval.  The downside is that, every time you retrieve any property, you
are forced to retrieve all language versions of it.

Hope this helps,

Waldemar Baraldi wrote:
> Hi all,
> I want my nodes to have internationalizable properties. Let's say a
> node of type movie has a string property called 'title', I want to set
> the value to that property in different languages. I don't want to
> have multiple nodes (for the same movie) just to maintain translations.
> I believe the JCR standard doesn't support something like that. I'm
> thinking about how to implement something like this.
> Any help, ideas or shared experience will be greatly welcome.
> Thanks in advance.
> Waldemar

View raw message