jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Shaun Barriball" <sbarr...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject RE: Profiling shows Session management to be a hotspot - session pooling etc
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2007 07:30:22 GMT
Thanks for the response Brian.
We're using Spring to setup the Sessions for both the Editor and Reader but
we're not currently associating it with a transaction.
So by your comment "ensure everything that modifies the repository happens
transactionally" is it best to:

 * ensure the "Editor" app associates every update operation in a
transaction to ensure atomicity etc (ACID)

 * ensure the "Reader" app associates the session with a transaction for the
duration of a request which should guarantee a consistent view on JCR and
avoid the InvalidItemStateException otherwise known as the "carpet being
pulled from under you".

So I'm presuming the exception is due to the non-ACID way in which we're
using the repos?

Regards,
Shaun.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Thompson [mailto:elephantium@gmail.com]
Sent: 29 March 2007 17:29
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Re: Profiling shows Session management to be a hotspot - session
pooling etc

You might wrap methods that use the shared session in a try-catch block.  If
that exception gets thrown, acquire a new session and retry the action.

You'll need to ensure that everything that modifies the repository happens
transactionally, but this might be a solution.

-Brian

On 3/29/07, Shaun Barriball <sbarriba@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Yesterday we modified our 'view' web application to use a shared
> global Session rather than Session per request pattern based on
> (appreciated) feedback from the list. The result was a large increase
> in performance but we are now seeing the following exception thrown
periodically:

> Caused by: javax.jcr.InvalidItemStateException:
> 5f3e21de-2ba9-43bf-b096-1d80cc406efa/{
> http://www.acme.co.uk/xmlns/contentmod
> el}styleClass: the item does not exist anym ore
>         at
> org.apache.jackrabbit.core.ItemImpl.sanityCheck(ItemImpl.java:157)
>         at
> org.apache.jackrabbit.core.PropertyImpl.getName(PropertyImpl.java:1154
> )
>
> .....which implies that the session is getting out of date with
> changes made by the 'editor' web application. We're using a mdoel 2
> deployment.
>
> Is there anything we could be doing wrong in our code for this to
> occur or is using a shared session a not viable?
>
> Regards,
> Shaun.

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC
Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html