jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graphviz Tool: No CND input files?
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:19:03 GMT
Hi Wolf,

> -- I read that, but failed to understand what it meant. What is meant
> with a "system view export" ? I'd love a more elaborated explanantion
> on the website. I guess if I don't know what it means, a lot other
> newies won't get it either.
Jukka is refering to the standard xml mappings of JCR,
Section 6.4.1 of the JCR v1.0 spec (page 83 and following) [1].

> I'm afdraid to speed up JCR-adoption, this CND thing is a historic
> mistake. Look at what we have now:
....as mentioned above there is an XML representation of nodetypes.

If you would like to read up on the argument around this please
find some information here:

> - We are somehow told to use a cnd file. Yet no way to validate it.
> The conversion tools to/from XML are not complete.
As mentioned above, feel free to use the system view as pointed
out by Jukka.

> - Autocompletion/showing existing options go through the window. E.g.
> what possibilities has jrc:xxx ?  I found some, scattered at various
> places, like jrc:encoding etc. But even on the JR site nobody bothered
> to put them together. Same for the other build-in names. (nt, mix, )
> An XSD solves this out of the box.
I think I slowly get the feeling that you have not been exposed to the JCR spec
I would strongly recommend reading the specification, you will find a
lot of the
information that you are looking for right there.

> - Coming out WITH a diffferent format yet WITHOUT a tool to work with
> it (in particular, like an eclipse plugin!) is like giving a car
> without the gaz. Where's the fun?
...let's agree on "without electronic park assist".

Anyway, I think that having an Eclipse plugin that lets you
manipulate nodetype definitions would be a great thing.
I don' t think that this should be tied to any language though
but should use the programmatic interfaces provided by
the repository anyway.

> All this smells like reinventing the wheel for the sake of
> conciseness. That's a very high price tag. Unless you're very familiar
> with the format, is it really worth it?
Let me put it this way: We tried XML and we even kept the XML
notations around in the form of the system view export.
... however, personally I find it very unreadable.

We are in good company to encounter that the XML notations yield
undesirable results.
Even at the heart of the XML community people are
not (only) using XML, take RelaxNG [2], XQuery or XPath for that matter.

[1] http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr170/index.html
[2] http://relaxng.org/compact-tutorial-20030326.html

View raw message