jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Danner, Russ" <Dann...@csps.com>
Subject RE: How to communicate between repository client and server with only JCR, JSR-170 API
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:46:15 GMT
It is also fairly simple to make this work with an MBEAN or and SPI
which makes the repository available via JNDI.  The solution below is
not super but it does work.  I would rather connect to JCR locally if
possible which is what prompted this work.

See http://issues.alfresco.com/browse/AR-1131

I can vet that the RMI implementation is JCR neutral as I use it to
connect to Alfresco.  I really appreciate the work done by Jackrabbit.

__________________________________

-----Original Message-----
From: David Nuescheler [mailto:david.nuescheler@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:39 AM
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org; tobias.bocanegra@day.com
Subject: Re: How to communicate between repository client and server
with only JCR, JSR-170 API

hi,

> the rmi implementation is jcr neutral, if you don't want to use RMI,
> you need to run your application in the same VM as the repository.
> the problem is, that jsr170 does not specify any remoting protocol.
> but this will change in jsr283 (jcr2.0) which defines (among other new
> stuff) a SPI.

JCR is an API and as much as JDBC does not specify a transport
protocol JCR should not do that either.

The expert group of JSR-283 decided that the SPI is out of
scope for the core JCR spec and that's also why the development
of the SPI is progressing very quickly as a part of the Jackrabbit
project.
I very much agree with this decision.

As Tobi mentioned there is an option of remoting JCR through RMI as one
option in Jackrabbit. The SPI contrib also offers a remoting through
WebDAV as
an alternative way of communicating a JCR client with a Jackrabbit
Instance.

regards,
david