jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Wolf Benz <euroj...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: existing DB: how to begin...
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2007 21:40:32 GMT
Jukka,
Do you know of any such efforts going on in the current JSR-283 spec?
Wolf
___________
On 06 Feb 2007, at 22:11, Jukka Zitting wrote:

Hi,

On 2/6/07, Wolf Benz <eurojava@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's indeed what I meant :-)
> The reply's not what I had hoped for, but thx anyway!
> If only because this is always the question you get when you try to
> pomote "JCR": "can we reuse our old data?" (which is, business wise,
> a perfectly valid question as well!!)
> --> From yr reply I think the reply to this one is then: yes, but not
> without serious (one-time)support of a DBA that does a one-time
> migration...

I hear you, I've seen the same issue come up repeatedly. A JDBC-JCR
bridge, even if just a read-only level 1 implementation, would be a
very cool thing to have. I recently had some success to implementing
such a bridge for XML documents (which of course are much closer to
the JCR data model), so I wouldn't be surprised if sooner or later we
did have a JDBC bridge, but as of now the best option probably a
one-time migration as you mentioned.

BR,

Jukka Zitting