jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Wolf Benz" <euroj...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graphviz Tool: No CND input files?
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:40:59 GMT
Hi david :-)

> If you would like to read up on the argument around this please
> find some information here:
> http://jackrabbit.apache.org/doc/nodetype/cnd.html

-- I had read it. (in fact it was lying in front of me while sending
the reply to the List :-)
Yet it failed to convince me as consiceness is not my first problem.
(no offense meant - I already gave my point of view)

> As mentioned above, feel free to use the system view as pointed
> out by Jukka.

-- I'm not sure I get what you mean here. How does this help me to
edit a Node Defs in a easy(validated correctness and autocompletioned)
way?

> I think I slowly get the feeling that you have not been exposed to the JCR spec
> yet.

-- Oh I haven't. That's true. Should I? If that's a requirement for
anyone to start with JCR, I'm afraid the treshhold is really pushed
quite high.
We all have so little time. This is smth new. New stuff often starts
after the hours, by a few crazy volunteers, and with a lot of
goodwill. A helpful website to get you really started well with the
basics explained like Node Defs + some tools around that, seems a
current void. I'm not saying the JR site is not helpful. On the
contrary even, it's the best one available as we speak and what I have
so far is entirely tahnks to teh JR site. Yet for people like me to
get rfully started, it lacks vital parts and info. Perhaps missing
parts could be copyt-pasted-stripped from the spec itself? (don't know
whether it lends itself to it)
Truth be told, it would also be the first time in 15 yrs I would
actually have to read the spec itself to get to the info I need. I
hope rather sooner than later someone is sponsored to write a decent
book on the topic. With lots of examples. (In the mean time David, we
are of course going to follow the 4-d course dev @ Day ;-)
Anyone know of someone being in the process of such an effort? (book)

> Anyway, I think that having an Eclipse plugin that lets you
> manipulate nodetype definitions would be a great thing.
> I don' t think that this should be tied to any language though
> but should use the programmatic interfaces provided by
> the repository anyway.

-- Having one that works fine will do. From a user's prespective, I
care less on the "how" part. Our business is not JCR but the business
we build with it :-) (sounded harsh so I added a smiley :-)

> Let me put it this way: We tried XML and we even kept the XML
> notations around in the form of the system view export.
> ... however, personally I find it very unreadable.

-- Did someone make an XSD file we could use now?

> We are in good company to encounter that the XML notations yield
> undesirable results.
> Even at the heart of the XML community people are
> not (only) using XML, take RelaxNG [2], XQuery or XPath for that matter.

-- There exist tools to help you with those. Not for CND. (at least
not that I know of, in eclipse)

Wolf