jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graphviz Tool: No CND input files?
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:23:10 GMT
Hi,

On 2/14/07, Wolf Benz <eurojava@gmail.com> wrote:
> -- I read that, but failed to understand what it meant. What is meant
> with a "system view export" ?

JCR specifies two XML formats, "document" and "system" view, for
importing and export content to and from a content repository. A
"system view export" is the XML document that results from a call to
Session.exportSystemView() with the specified node path, in this case
"/jcr:system/jcr:nodeTypes".

> I'd love a more elaborated explanantion on the website. I guess if I don't
> know what it means, a lot other newies won't get it either.

Good point, and I agree that we are still short on documentation. The
JCR specification itself is the best place for now to look for
information like this.

> -- No argument there. Yet, being a JCR-beginner, I care more about the
> correctness of my node defs than I care about it being more concise.
> And with this, the XML helps twofold as it also is more verbose. If
> only because it tells you what is inside. (e.g. <supertypes> ... </>
> etc)

I'd argue that the

> - We are somehow told to use a cnd file. Yet no way to validate it.
> The conversion tools to/from XML are not complete.

Agreed, there's still much to be done. The best way to speed things up
is to file feature requests for the missing tools in the issue
tracker.

> - XML is not bad. I think with XML AND smart defaulting we would get
> very far, also wrt conciseness.

All contributions are welcome. :-)

> All this smells like reinventing the wheel for the sake of
> conciseness. That's a very high price tag. Unless you're very familiar
> with the format, is it really worth it?

Depends on your priorities. I personally consider ease of
communicating node type designs  a higher priority than ease of
editing the design files. Luckily Jackrabbit supports both CND and the
XML nodetype notation, so there's basically no stopping you from using
XML if that's what you prefer. Unfortunately there is even less
documentation on the XML notation than on CND... :-(

BR,

Jukka Zitting