jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graphviz Tool: No CND input files?
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:03:02 GMT
Hi,

On 2/14/07, Wolf Benz <eurojava@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi List, I just came across this link:
> http://jackrabbit.apache.org/doc/nodetype/visualization.html
>
> from that page I understand that we have yet another reason to abandon
> CND in favor of the proper XML notation. (validation in IDEs being the
> other biggy. If only someone had a proper XSD file!)
> Is this correct or does it also accept CND files? (My guess is no, as
> an XSLT is used)

The visualization tool actually works on the system view export of
/jcr:system/jcr:nodeTypes instead of CND, XSD, or the XML nodetype
notation.

Your point about CND vs. XSD or another XML notation for nodetypes has
some merit, but in practice the CND notation is much more consise and
readable. It works *much* better when for example copy-pasting
examples to the mailing list or when documenting the node types used
by an application.

It's possible to implement editor and validation support CND files,
but there's no way to make the XML notations more readable without
special illustration tools like mentioned above.

BR,

Jukka Zitting