jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is JCR/Jackrabbit Appropriate for Complex Java Object Persistence?
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 08:02:42 GMT
Hi,

On 2/2/07, Tom Wheeler <tomwheel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Much of what I've read so far seem focused on content and document
> management applications like blogs, wikis and CMS systems.  Is what
> I'm trying to do a misuse of JCRs?

One could well claim that object-relational persistence is a misuse of
JDBC and relational databases. Similarly you could claim that object
persistence is not the core use case for JCR. The question boils down
to whether you want your application to be document or object
oriented.

However, there are many good uses for object-relational persistence
and the hierarchical nature of JCR makes it in many cases even better
suited for object persistence than relational databases.

> Is there some open source framework on top of Jackrabbit already that
> makes it easier to use them for general persistence of complex Java objects?

See the incubating Apache Graffito project for the JCR Mapping tool
(http://incubator.apache.org/graffito/jcr-mapping/index.html), an
object-content mapping framework for JCR. From the web site:

    This tools lets you to persist java objects into a JCR compliant
    repository - including association, inheritance, polymorphism,
    composition, and the Java collections framework. Furthermore, this
    jcr-mapping allows you to express queries in Java-based Criteria,
    as well as in JCR query language. It offers also features like
    version support and object locking.

Unfortunately the tool is not yet released so you'll need to grab and
build the sources to try it out.

BR,

Jukka Zitting