jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Features, Production quality use and Disaster recovery
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:00:59 GMT
Hi Hanasaki,

Thanks for your question.

On 12/19/06, hanasaki <hanasaki@hanaden.com> wrote:
> Been looking at CMS systems and recently found Jackrabbit!  Incredible!
> Many have pointed me to Alfresco.  Could someone offer a
> comparison/contrast? pro/con list?

I am not an expert on Alfresco so I can't really judge a lot of things
beyond marketing
claims. I also don't know anyone who has first hand Alfresco experience so it is
hard for me to help you in that department, maybe someone else on the
list can offer
some insight.

I think the most meaningful comparison that one could make would be to compare
the standardized content repository functionality as postulated by JCR
between the
two repositories.

I think the primary comparison that I could envision is with respect
to (1) "compliance
and functionality" but also with respect to (2) "scalability and performance".
In (2) I think Alfresco certainly helped the industry substantially by
starting the
"JCR benchmark" initiative.

Since I can't answer those topics for Alfresco, I would like to try to
do that for Jackrabbit.

(1) Jackrabbit has a strong focus on not only being 100% compliant
with all the optional
parts of the specification (unstructured content, versioning, etc...)
but also allowing flexibility
beyond the specification, for example with completely arbitrary
nodetype or workspace
definitions.

(2) Jackrabbit has no inherent limitations with respect to size of the
repository and mostly
delegates the scalability and performance to the underlying
persistence layer, for example
a relational database. Jackrabbit also runs even for very large
repositories with a very
low memory consumption, in our tests we try to stay below 128m heap
allocated for the jvm.

So all in all I would say Jackrabbit is a fully JCR compliant,
scalable, versatile,
multi-purpose content repository.

regards,
david