jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From jde...@21technologies.com
Subject Storing data in a non-public schema and a postgres persistance manager
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:10:57 GMT
I have two questions:
 First, is there a way to configure Jackrabbit to store data someplace
other than the default public schema of a database?  The "schema" argument
in the repository configuration file refers to the type of schema.  The
only way I can control where data goes in the database is by changing the
schema object prefix.  It would be nice if I could setup different schemas
within the same database for different repositories that I have setup for

Second, I've continued playing around with Jackrabbit performance under
PostgreSQL.  Because Jackrabbit uses the bytea data type to store blobs in
the database, it performs poorly creating a giant memory footprint that is
dependent on the size of the data that is being put into the database.
This memory footprint requires a JVM heap size of anywhere from 4 times to
8 times the size of the data being loaded or stored.  There are several
articles that can be found about postgres' problems with blobs and the
memroy consumption that is a result of using the bytea data type.  It
appears that these memory problems can be avoided if I use the LargeObject
API instead of the bytea data type to represent my blobs (see
http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/82/binary-data.html), although I
have not tried it yet.  I am considering building a
PostgresPersistenceManager by extending SimpleDBPersistenceManager that
will use LargeObjects instead of bytea.  Has anybody tried using
LargeObjects with Jackrabbit instead of bytea? Is there a reason this
approach won't work?  Why did Jackrabbit use bytea to begin with?

Thanks for your help,