jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From jde...@21technologies.com
Subject Storing data in a non-public schema and a postgres persistance manager
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:10:57 GMT
Hi,
I have two questions:
 First, is there a way to configure Jackrabbit to store data someplace
other than the default public schema of a database?  The "schema" argument
in the repository configuration file refers to the type of schema.  The
only way I can control where data goes in the database is by changing the
schema object prefix.  It would be nice if I could setup different schemas
within the same database for different repositories that I have setup for
testing.

Second, I've continued playing around with Jackrabbit performance under
PostgreSQL.  Because Jackrabbit uses the bytea data type to store blobs in
the database, it performs poorly creating a giant memory footprint that is
dependent on the size of the data that is being put into the database.
This memory footprint requires a JVM heap size of anywhere from 4 times to
8 times the size of the data being loaded or stored.  There are several
articles that can be found about postgres' problems with blobs and the
memroy consumption that is a result of using the bytea data type.  It
appears that these memory problems can be avoided if I use the LargeObject
API instead of the bytea data type to represent my blobs (see
http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/82/binary-data.html), although I
have not tried it yet.  I am considering building a
PostgresPersistenceManager by extending SimpleDBPersistenceManager that
will use LargeObjects instead of bytea.  Has anybody tried using
LargeObjects with Jackrabbit instead of bytea? Is there a reason this
approach won't work?  Why did Jackrabbit use bytea to begin with?

Thanks for your help,
Joe.