jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Tobias Bocanegra" <tobias.bocane...@day.com>
Subject Re: repository portability
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 09:06:46 GMT
> > But I have a last question... The JSR-170 says: "The jcr:encoding
> > indicates the character set encoding used. If this resource does not
> > contains character data then this property will not be present". I'm not
> > sure about the meaning of this paragraph: in the test program I store
> > String in the nt:resource node and should have this property because of
> > encoding issues. But what about storing binary data like an JPG image?
> > It this property ignored or it shouldn't be present? Should be used only
> > when the jcr:mimeType property is "text/*"?
>
> The term "encoding" (as used for jcr:encoding) is meaningless for binary
> content. It describes how to reconstruct a sequence from characters for
> a sequence of bytes.
>
> So, yes, it's usually only meaningful for jcr:mimeType values matching
> "text/*".

please note, that the jcr:encoding property is not used by the
repository itself for encoding data. it's thought as a helper property
that applications may need when they want to store the encoding.

of course the application is free to choose what information to store
in this property. for example, an zipped xml-file could have:
  jcr:mimeType "text/xml"
  jcr:encoding "gzip"
although this might not make sense :-)

regards, toby