jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: repository portability
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 09:47:33 GMT
Hi,

On 12/7/06, Tobias Bocanegra <tobias.bocanegra@day.com> wrote:
> of course the application is free to choose what information to store
> in this property. for example, an zipped xml-file could have:
>   jcr:mimeType "text/xml"
>   jcr:encoding "gzip"
> although this might not make sense :-)

This is more in line with the HTTP Content-Encoding header than the
charset parameter of the MIME type as suggested by JSR 170. I think
that the Content-Encoding makes more sense, as there already is a
defined way to embed character encoding information in the MIME type.
For example:

    jcr:mimeType "text/plain; charset=UTF-8"
    jcr:encoding "gzip"

But since this contradicts JSR 170, I would argue that this should not
be done. The preferred alternatives being

    jcr:mimeType "text/plain; charset=UTF-8"
    jcr:encoding <unset>

and

    jcr:mimeType "text/plain"
    jcr:encoding "UTF-8"

Note that this way any content encodings need to be decoded before
storing the content in the jcr:data property.

BR,

Jukka Zitting