jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can you search jackrabbit with a non-java client?
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 21:55:59 GMT
On 12/6/06, Darren Hartford <dhartford@ghsinc.com> wrote:
> General question - can you search Jackrabbit with a non-java
> client/language (non-java-RMI approach)?  Client/language such as
> C/C++,VB6,VB.NET, C#, Perl, or PHP?

The most straightforward way to achieve that is to use the existing
Java bindings of the target language to achieve this. There are
already existing bindings for .NET (see the jackrabbit-net contrib
project) and Perl (see the Java::JCR module in CPAN), and I've
personally used the PHP Java integration
(http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.java.php) to successfully execute
the Jackrabbit first hops examples. During the last ApacheCon someone
(can't remember who) also mentioned having used JRuby to execute Ruby
versions of the Jackrabbit first hops.

An alternative would be to access the repository remotely through the
JCR WebDAV interface exposed by jackrabbit-jcr-server, but that would
require extra client-side coding to hide the WebDAV details.

> If so, could some examples be provided?

See the jackrabbit-net and Java::JCR components for documentation and
details. Especially the Java::JCR documentation is pretty good.

We could start collecting versions of the Jackrabbit first hops
examples in different programming languages along with instructions on
how to set things up in those environments. The Jackrabbit Wiki is
probably the best place to get started.

Jukka Zitting

View raw message