jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: repository portability
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 09:52:42 GMT
Tobias Bocanegra schrieb:
>> > But I have a last question... The JSR-170 says: "The jcr:encoding
>> > indicates the character set encoding used. If this resource does not
>> > contains character data then this property will not be present". I'm
>> not
>> > sure about the meaning of this paragraph: in the test program I store
>> > String in the nt:resource node and should have this property because of
>> > encoding issues. But what about storing binary data like an JPG image?
>> > It this property ignored or it shouldn't be present? Should be used
>> only
>> > when the jcr:mimeType property is "text/*"?
>>
>> The term "encoding" (as used for jcr:encoding) is meaningless for binary
>> content. It describes how to reconstruct a sequence from characters for
>> a sequence of bytes.
>>
>> So, yes, it's usually only meaningful for jcr:mimeType values matching
>> "text/*".
>
> please note, that the jcr:encoding property is not used by the
> repository itself for encoding data. it's thought as a helper property
> that applications may need when they want to store the encoding.
>
> of course the application is free to choose what information to store
> in this property. for example, an zipped xml-file could have:
>  jcr:mimeType "text/xml"
>  jcr:encoding "gzip"
> although this might not make sense :-)

No,

that in fact does not make any sense, so don't do it.

In case the binary content can be decoded into characters, the
jcr:encoding property should hold the name of the character encoding
(registry at <http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets>). In this
case, it can be used to construct the encoding parameter for an MIME
Content-Type header (for instance, when serving the content through HTTP).

Best regards, Julian