jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Nicolas " <nto...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Backup tool for Jackrabbit
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:01:59 GMT
Hi Michael,

On 11/28/06, Michael Neale < michael.neale@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what the status is of the backup tool for jackrabbit? I
> remember reading that it was functional - is it now (1.1) part of the
> jackrabbit distro? (I have the wiki page on it, that is all).

It is part in the contrib directory.

There are still some parts uncommitted (but in JIRA) so please don't use it.
I am taking this opportunity to rethink the design of a few classes and
perform some house cleaning tasks (add good unit test, some class
renaming,...). I should post on JIRA a new zip by the end of this week or
the next one.

As I am not a committer, I don't know when the commit will actually be
performed, but based on off ML discussion I am pretty confident it should be
quite fast after I post the code.

I am also interested in if the backup/restore tool is suitable for the
> following scenarios:
>
> 1) migrating from one repository with data to an new empty repository.

It is built for this.

2) exporting from one version of the repository, and loading into a newer
> version of the repository (with node types, but no data) (perhaps with new
> node types) - basically seeing if it can be used for migrtion of data for
> repo changes over time. This is a real worry of mine, I still don't
> understand how I can make my repository cope with Version 2.0 of the
> application when there is existing data ??? any ideas?

We discussed this use case. It is not currently supported, but I designed
the project in a way where it is quite easy to support it. If you give me a
few more weeks, I can add it quite easily.

This new feature can be added in an afternoon (I know I have hardly free
time those days). All contributions on this are welcome :)

BR,
Nico