jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JackRabbit maturity?- robustness, performance and scalability
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:29:26 GMT
On 11/15/06, Miro Walker <miro.walker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shaun,
>
> >  * versioning - our current model makes use of nt:hierarchyNode,
> > mix:referenceable, mix:lockable and mix:versionable. From your comments it
> > sounds like using mix:versionable will significantly reduce the reliability
> > of JackRabbit. Would you recommend NOT using mix:versionable therefore?
> >
> Well, it's a tricky question. We've been using mix:versionable and it
> does what it says on the tin, but we have had issues as described (see
> also JCR-566, JCR-630, JCR-631). All versioning will have a large
> overhead - your data volume will grow very quickly and you're adding a
> lot of complexity, so if versioning is optional in your application,
> it may be better not to use it. If you do have to include versioning,
> then using jackrabbit's support for it is still probably better than
> trying to roll your own, as these issues will certainly be resolved
> eventually.
>
> >  * persistence - we'd prefer to use the SimpleDbPersistenceManager with
> > MySql. Is this a popular/reliable combination?
> >
> The issue with the SimpleDBPM is that it stores all data as name-value
> pairs in the DB, which can be low-performance (writing a single node
> can require numerous insert statements). There are other approaches

i don't know what you mean by name-value pairs, however a node is persisted
using *one* insert/update statement.

> using DDL to dynamically generate tables in the DB that conform to
> nodetypes (so an entire node can be written with a single insert), but

i am still waiting for the proof that a normalized or node
type-reflecting schema
would be superior in terms of performance. i'd also be interested to learn how
residual child nodes/properties (e.g. nt:unstructered), non-typed
properties and
multi-valued properties would be handled.

cheers
stefan