jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From James Hang <jh...@bea.com>
Subject Versioning question
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 01:22:49 GMT

Hi,

I have a question about versioning, in particular how you would create child
nodes of a versioned node that are not versioned with the parent and can be
modified entirely independent of its parent.

For example, let's say I have a type T1. Nodes of T1 can have child nodes of
type T2.  Nodes of type T2 can have child nodes of type T3.

So, my node tree will be like this:

T1
|_
    T2 ...
    |_
        T3 ...

Now, let's say that I want to make it so that when I create a new version of
T1, I don't want T2 or its descendents to be part of the state that version.
One way I can do this by making the onParentVersion attribute of T2 and T3
to be IGNORE.  However, in order to modify the T3 nodes, I will still have
to checkout/checkin a new version of its T1 ancestor.  Is there a way to
avoid this?

I understand that adding/deleting T2 nodes will have to require checking out
T1, since the state of T1 will have to be modified.  But it seems like you
should be able to modify T2 properties and add/delete T3 nodes without
having to do a checkout.  Essentially, is there a way to make T2/T3 nodes
act like non-versionable standalone nodes, even though they are part of the
node hierarchy of a versionable node?