jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From anton_slutsky <aslut...@applevac.com>
Subject Jackrabbit repo locking
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 18:35:31 GMT

Hello,

First of all, kudos on the great product.  We are using it and love it
something awful.  Having said that, one little "feature" that's there is
extremely annoying.  When a repo is instantiated, it creates a .lock file
at root (which you probably know all too well).  I'm sure there is a
reason for it to be there, and in prod it might even be a good idea to
make certain only one process access a given repository, but in
development, this .lock file causes a world of grief.  I'm using
jackrabbit as a library for a web project running on jboss in dev and
websphere in prod.  I constantly run into two major problems.  First,
sometimes, I need to kill jboss, which negates any attempts at finalize()
logic I have implemented.  Second, when redeploying, jboss seems to ignore
finalize() altogether when hot redeploying.  Obviously, this is not your
issue, but it is a huge inconvenience for me and my team.

I'm wondering if I were to submit a patch making this .lock logic
configurable, how would it go with the team?  Or are there underlying
architectural concerns that necessitate such an approach?

Thanks!
Anton