jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From anton_slutsky <aslut...@applevac.com>
Subject Jackrabbit repo locking
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 18:35:31 GMT

First of all, kudos on the great product.  We are using it and love it
something awful.  Having said that, one little "feature" that's there is
extremely annoying.  When a repo is instantiated, it creates a .lock file
at root (which you probably know all too well).  I'm sure there is a
reason for it to be there, and in prod it might even be a good idea to
make certain only one process access a given repository, but in
development, this .lock file causes a world of grief.  I'm using
jackrabbit as a library for a web project running on jboss in dev and
websphere in prod.  I constantly run into two major problems.  First,
sometimes, I need to kill jboss, which negates any attempts at finalize()
logic I have implemented.  Second, when redeploying, jboss seems to ignore
finalize() altogether when hot redeploying.  Obviously, this is not your
issue, but it is a huge inconvenience for me and my team.

I'm wondering if I were to submit a patch making this .lock logic
configurable, how would it go with the team?  Or are there underlying
architectural concerns that necessitate such an approach?