jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "David Moss" <mos...@googlemail.com>
Subject Storing multi-part documents in repository
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 17:19:25 GMT
Hi,

This isn't strictly a Jackrabbit issue, but is related to the way I use it
and I hope will be familiar to anyone who's used jackrabbit for a CMS or
similar.

I'm looking to store both single, and multi-part documents (e.g. html page,
with referenced images) within the repository and then serve these out from
the repository as part of a web application.  My first thoughts are to store
the document dependencies as child nodes of the main document node.
However, I don't think storing the data is a problem.  The difficulty is
with how best to retrieve it.

If, for example, I simply pull an HTML document from the repository and
stream it to a user's browser in response to a click, the links within that
document to its dependent images etc are invalid.  How can I retrieve these
as well?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best approach to this problem?

I reckon I could either retrieve the files from the repository into a
temporary directory, and serve them back to the client from there,
or write a filter to attempt to retrieve any unrecognised url / url that
matches a mask from the repository returning the document if found, or 404
if not.
Neither of these seems like a neat solution.

If it's useful, I'm using JSF for the user interface etc.

Thanks

Dave.