jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Wolf Benz <euroj...@gmail.com>
Subject Beginner's question (architecture)
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:28:05 GMT
Hi List,

I'm new to this JCR concept, but I'm very thrilled from what I read/
saw so far.
My prob is: I'd like to get started with it on teh right foot
immediately - but I don't know too well how exactly - architecture wise.

1/ Problem sketch: I guess it's the same for most people beginnen
with a JCR: they came from ORM and now what? :-)
It seems to be a bad idea to directly map the Content (persistence
end) with the fron-end. (correct me if you think otherwise)

-> I woudl think more of an architecture like e.g:

@ backend: a "PersistenceDelegaterInterface" (PDI) & a
"PersistenceDelgator" (PD)

With methods like:
getObject(Class, String ID)
saveOrUpdate(Object obj)

A domain layer object could use thsi PDI.

It seems to have these advantages:
- the domain- and service layer can have a PDI instance, which can be
injected with Spring at runtime
- different strategies can be used for persistence; it becomes
pluggeable (e.g. part of your app could run with JDO2; Spring can
inject the same PDI with a JDO2 implememtation for the classes for
which a JCR is not YET in place)
- it decouples back-end from front-end

Of course the reason I also ask, is as the apps I currently have, do
already have this PDI.

But...  there are new apps in the pipeline. Is this the best way to
continue or is there a more elegant approach?

I could perhaps also perhaps the question as: Every app has its
domain layer. How to -most elegantly- connect these domain objects
with a JCR?

(the "class" arg seems o have become obsolete for JCRs as the ID
containes both path and class/ID; all is in the XPath....)

So infact these are 2 questions already: how to do it best for new
apps and what about migrating old apps?

2/ Regarding existing apps: suppose you have an existing DB (schema
and content in place) How best build a system on that? Is it e.g.
possible to use a mapping file to logically (e.g.) unite 2 DBs and
place one, much more logical, new structure above it? (kinda like the
JDO/Hibernate mapping file if you wish)
Or is this seeking for trouble and is it in this case better to
- have JCR generate the most logical structure for it, and
- then have a DBA make a few views or so?

Ideas are very much appreciated!

Wolf