jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Cosmin Zamfir <cosminzam...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Creating NodeType with dynamic, linked properties
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:13:34 GMT
Hi Stefan,

Thanks, it works that way.

Cosmin

----- Original Message ----
From: Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com>
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 10:46:23 AM
Subject: Re: Creating NodeType with dynamic, linked properties

hi cosmin

On 11/16/06, Cosmin Zamfir <cosminzamfir@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Suppose I want to create several NodeTypes, each of them containing  a Property called
"category" whose value is constrained to a List of values.

> The constraint  list  will  need to be expanded as more categories will be added. This
change should be reflected then in all NodeTypes which contain the "category" property.
> Unfortunately, it seems that the PropertyDefinition is somehow static, getValueConstraints()
only allows to define one time the constraints. There is no functionality to create a link
to a dynamic Property, so that all changes made in the Property will be reflected in all NodeTypes
using this Property.

> The only solution I see at the moment is to create a custom implementation, outside the
repository, to mimic the NodeType interface,
>  including inheritance. But doing so will create a lot of disadvantages; including the
fact that there will be no checks done by the repository itself for compliance to the NodeType
of new Nodes.

> Are you aware of any posibility to create such a functionality using the repository?

you could e.g. create a node type myapp:Category that extends from
mix:referenceable. now for each category (e.g. book, dvd, etc) you can
create a node of type myapp:Category.

in your custom node types make your "category" property a REFERENCE
property and restrict it to myapp:Category.

you can add new categories (nodes of type myapp:Category) at any time.

cheers
stefan

> Thanks a lot,
> Cosmin

> Sponsored Link
>
> Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
> $510k for $1,698/mo. Calculate new payment!
> www.LowerMyBills.com/lre

Sponsored Link

Online degrees - find the right program to advance your career.
Www.nextag.com