jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Torgeir Veimo <torg...@pobox.com>
Subject replacing LDAP directory with JCR repository
Date Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:05:07 GMT
Lines are being blurred between member profiles and content with new
social website setups. We've traditionally used LDAP for member
profiles, but I'm thinking about moving all member storage into a jcr
repository, since we now need per member content storage in any case.
There are a few issues though;

Group storage: we'd need to store group membership either as a property
on each member, or as multivalued properties on each group node. The
former would complicates the access control setup for who assigns
membership a bit, while the latter I suspect would have an impact on
performance. We're talking about large groups eg 10000 members, since
groups ~= role in our setup.

External application: we'd need to have some sort of LDAP gateway for
legacy apps, eg mail. I'm thinking of implementing this myself, with a
configurable mapping between node types and properties to object classes
and attributes.

Am wondering if anyone else has tried similar setups? (JCR is so much
nicer than jndi..)

--
Torgeir Veimo <torgeir@pobox.com>