jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Node Definitions
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2006 08:44:47 GMT
hi paul,

On 10/26/06, Paul J DeCoursey <paul@decoursey.net> wrote:
> Is there a way to define Node Types in a Implementation independent
> manner?  This is my first look at Content Repositories so forgive me if
> this question is naive.  I'm building a content management system and I
> need to make it completely independent of Jackrabbit so that our
> customers can just plug in whatever system they want.  For example once
> IBM gets Content Manager JSR-170 ready. Does this make sense?  Or is it
> that all systems will have their own way of defining node types and it
> just cannot be done through JCR?

jcr 2.0 will most probably cover node type management. jcr 2.0 is currently
in the works, for more details please see http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=283.

however, the final release is planned for may 2007, and this schedule is
subject to change...

another word of caution: don't expect too much wrt node type interoperability
amongst different vendors. just like every database vendor has his 'own' brew
of ddl syntax, most repository vendors will have specific restrictions
and features.

for example, currently none of the jcr implementations i know of support
nt:unstructured (except jackrabbit of course ;-).

cheers
stefan