jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Persistence managers and file storage
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:01:37 GMT
hi,

On 10/24/06, Java Prog <javaprimer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> I use SimpleDBPersistanceManager as persistence manager.
> When file (2-3 mb in size) is checked in all other operations
> are halted until it is stored. It presume that this occurs
> due to a single connection to the database.
> I would like to know does someone has similar experience and
> what to do in such case? For small files (100 -200kb) it seems to
> be OK.
>
> Also, I would like if someone can clarify cqfs licence?

cqfs is a custom FileSystem implementation developed
by Day Software. the license states that it's free for
non-commercial use. you can't redistribute it without
day's permission.

> What is meant by free to use but not open source?

this means that you can use the distributed binaries
but you don't get the source code.

> In which cases I can use it in my application?

the short answer is you don't need it ;)

in early days of jackrabbit there were only filesystem-based
persistence managers (e.g. XMLPersistenceManager) available.
the performance of those suffered severely when used
on a windows file system. cqfs was meant to be an alternative
filesystem to be used on windows.

since we're now using DerbyPersistenceManager as the
prefered persistence manager you don't need cqfs anymore.

cheers
stefan