jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: When to use JCR and when not-to use JCR?
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 12:10:12 GMT
hi behi

On 10/2/06, behrangsa <behrangsa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have some fundamental questions about CMS systems in general, and JCR in
> particular. When does it make sense to access the backend through JCR? Is
> JCR only suitable for building a CMS system?

you could view JCR as being the equivalent of what JDBC is for
relational databases,
a standardized, vendor-neutral java api for accessing content repositories.

the benefits of using a standard vs a vendor-specific api should be obvious.

i strongly encourage you to read at least chapters 2 (Introduction)
and 3 (Use Cases)
of the JSR-170 specification

there are also some excellent articles covering JSR-170 basics,
e.g. http://www.cmswatch.com/Feature/123

btw, JCR is by no means limited to CMS applications. e.g. any java
application that has to deal with hard (think database tables) and soft
structured (think xml) data and hierarchical data model could possibly
benefit from using JCR.