jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From behrangsa <behran...@gmail.com>
Subject When to use JCR and when not-to use JCR?
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 21:40:19 GMT

Hi,

I have some fundamental questions about CMS systems in general, and JCR in
particular. When does it make sense to access the backend through JCR? Is
JCR only suitable for building a CMS system?

I have started working in a company which is selling an OA (office
automation) product that is build in top of Delphi 5 :"> and SQL Server
2000. It suffers from two weaknesses: it breaks down under loads that it
shouldn't and it doesn't have a workflow component (people have to
explicitly send forms to one another.)

The main purpose of the product is to create form specifications, and send
form instances to other people in the organization. The rest of the product
is all what that enables this (user management, form groups, etc.)

Now, does it even make sense to use JCR in this project? If so, how? Also,
it is highly preferred to have a solution which performs better compared to
the Delphi/SQL Server 2000 version on the same hardware. And commercial JCR
implementations is a no go. The only option is Jackrabbit :-)

If it makes sense to use JCR, please let me know why (and please continue
reading :-)

In an early architecture of this project, we have decided to store, say,
form instances under

  /resources/formInstances

as same-name-siblings.

Now it is possible for up to 100 users to submit forms simultaneously. Won't
this become a performance bottleneck? If so, how do you suggest to
reorganize the JCR tree?

Finally could you please enlist a few cases in which JCR/CMS makes sense?
For what is edmunds.com* relying on JCR? Could you talk about a few
real-world projects that use JCR and you have been a part of it?

I have always had this confusion about JMS as well. I know what JMS does,
but I don't know when does it make sense to use JMS. A few real world
instances in which JMS usage makes sense is also appreciated. What is
transactional JMS? Can I have transactional email sending with JMS? Does it
only make sense to use JMS in B2B systems?

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Behi

*http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1951429,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594