jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Srepfler Srgjan <srgjan.srepf...@lnksystem.com>
Subject Re: Where does JCR fit in JEE?
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:47:38 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/24/06, Srepfler Srgjan <srgjan.srepfler@lnksystem.com> wrote:
>> I have implemented the DAO pattern so I can switch between
>> persistence layers but to me it seems the two approaches are mutually
>> exclusive. Can someone give me advice what's the best way to combine
>> these two technologies and how to get the most of both worlds?
>
> I generally prefer to expose the JCR Node/Property model all the way
> up to the business and presentation logic. The way I see it, the DAO
> pattern solves two different problems: it allows you to swap
> persistence mechanisms and it hides the underlying data access API
> behind a more natural OO API. The latter issue mostly affects cases
> maps poorly to implementing common business or presentation logic
> (JDBC). I find the JCR API quite natural to work with (compare
> Node.getProperty(...) with the JDBC equivalent of executing a SELECT,
> possibly caching the results over multiple calls, etc.) so from my
> perspective the main reason for using the DAO pattern over JCR is when
> you either need to use a persistence mechanism that doesn't support
> JCR or to transparently support different JCR content models.

While I can see that using a JCR api is superior to JDBC I somehow
prefer the Annotations-oriented POJO approach that is used by the
JPA/EJB3. I've focused on building a reasonable model and thinking in
terms of Nodes/Properties and trying to fit everything in that model
seems a bit unintuitive and frankly anti-OO.
I feel that if the framework would be able to understand the annotations
on the entities and map them to Node/Properties in a transparent way (if
possible) that would be the most intuitive approach. Is such a thing
possible, is it worth it, are there alternative approaches (ex.
extending the set of annotations)?
Thanks, Srgjan