jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Srepfler Srgjan <srgjan.srepf...@lnksystem.com>
Subject Where does JCR fit in JEE?
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:38:00 GMT
Hello,
I've learned of the JCR spec through the onjava article that went up on
line this month
(http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2006/10/04/what-is-java-content-repository.html).
I have a small personal project of mine to make something like the
deviantart.com community (images, skins, comments, ratings, galleries,
moderation etc etc) except that I wanted to do it in java and to use OR
stuff like EJB3/JPA/Hibernate. I already have a decent model of the
domain as I envisioned it and I was about to start making the service
layer when I read this article. This being my second incarnation of this
small project I know what I did before in order to persist a file on
file system, name collision, and other problems so indeed having
something that would allow me to do these things transparently does seem
nice except that I somehow got the idea that if I decide to go the OR
route it's overlapping with the JCR route. I mean, I either use the
entitymanager or a JCR service layer but I don't see why/how would I use
both. I have implemented the DAO pattern so I can switch between
persistence layers but to me it seems the two approaches are mutually
exclusive. Can someone give me advice what's the best way to combine
these two technologies and how to get the most of both worlds? Second
question, can I "butcher" jackrabbit in order to take out the core that
handles the persistence stuff because I want to do all presentation
stuff on my own (that is, is there a clean core module that I can
integrate with my app)?

Thanks, Srgjan