jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Ottinger, Joseph" <jottin...@techtarget.com>
Subject RE: Security problem with QueryManager?
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 09:54:27 GMT
Ah ha! That's definitely better than I was afraid of... but how does one go about configuring
this properly? (Any documentation for mere mortals anywhere?)

________________________________

From: Stefan Guggisberg [mailto:stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com]
Sent: Fri 10/6/2006 5:52 AM
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Re: Security problem with QueryManager?

On 10/5/06, Ottinger, Joseph <jottinger@techtarget.com> wrote:
> I was playing around with JCR's query facility and realised something a little scary.
Perhaps I'm just ignorant, but... hey, that's why I email the list, right?

> When I build SQL queries, I do something like this: "select * from nt:unstructured where
foo='"+bar+"'";

> Oh, wait. If I was actually using JDBC, I'd *never* do this, because some fool out there
will try to set bar to something that will return more than I want it to return. To wit: bar
might equal "a' or 1=1" and lo, every node will be returned. Application error at best, exposure
of sensitive data at worst.

> Then I thought, well, hey, I have XPath, right? But in XPath, I can construct a query
the same way. Hello, security hole.

> Am I missing something?

well, unlike databases JCR *does* provide fine-grained access control, i.e. the
user will only get those results which he has read-access on.

cheers
stefan