jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Joins in SQL and searching for node by nodeType
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 07:50:14 GMT
Hi Dan,

> While googling for more info on Jackrabbit's search capability, I came
> across this message by Marcel Reutegger on Aug 2005: http://www.mail-archive.com/jackrabbit-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg02366.html
> One of the facts outlined by Marcel is that "joins in SQL are not supported
> in jackrabbit".
> Is this still the case as of Jackrabbit 1.0.1?
> Another question is, what is the best way to do something like
> node.getNodes(NodeType), which returns only those child nodes of specified
> nodeType (or subtypes of given type)?
In some cases where I had users ask for functionality like this, it sometimes
was rooted in a suboptimal content model. Of course nobody can be blamed,
since I guess we all remember our first relational data model before reading
any books or getting any education on how to build scalable and efficient
datamodels (which in the case of JCR is currently not really possible)

Do you mind sharing your content model and use case? This may help
us understand what people are trying to achieve with JCR and roll some
of that experience into future revisions of the specification and
implementation.

regards,
david