jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Newbie seeking a leg up
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2006 16:33:23 GMT
Hi Sean,

Thanks for sharing the Info.

> I am also thinking of implementing each user's content store as a
> Workspace. Each workspace would have two top-level nodes hanging from
> its root: Private and Public. Then each of those two nodes would
> contain many, many content Items.

Given your requirements that you would like users to
query each others "information stores", I wanted to ask
if a user can query only the "Content" of any single other
users at a time or would you like to query all the content
with a single query? (Obviously respecting access control)

If yes, I would recommend to store all the "home directories"
in a single workspace, since this would allow to query with
a single query.

> Is there anything so far that wouldn't be well served by building on
> top of Jackrabbit?
Personally, I think this is a very well suited set of requirements
for a JCR-based application.

> Am I right in assuming (given my ideas above) that cross-workspace
> queries are perfectly possible, and that all that is required is a
> separate, logged-in Session to each one?
Queries operate on a single workspace.

In your scenario there is not really a drawback of using a single
workspace, or in other words not really a need to incurr the
overhead of a "per user workspace". Multiple workspaces become
a requirement if you want to leverage the cross-workspace
methods such as merge(), update(), clone() etc...

> Can you envisage any issues (performance or otherwise) with my
> pitifully meagre outline? Any sage words of advice on how to best
> start architecting my repository?
I think using JCR for an application like yours is great.
I would also recommend to hack away and inform this list of
possible perfomance bottlenecks that you run into.

The good news about using a standard like JCR is that you
are not bound to a single implementation, meaning that if
you find out, a couple of years down the road that Jackrabbit
doesn't cover your performance needs anymore you can
always switch to commercial or other opensource alternatives.

regards,
david