jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Sean Dynan" <seandy...@bigfoot.com>
Subject Re: Newbie seeking a leg up
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2006 18:54:14 GMT
On 9/4/06, David Nuescheler <david.nuescheler@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am also thinking of implementing each user's content store as a
> > Workspace. Each workspace would have two top-level nodes hanging from
> > its root: Private and Public. Then each of those two nodes would
> > contain many, many content Items.
>
> Given your requirements that you would like users to
> query each others "information stores", I wanted to ask
> if a user can query only the "Content" of any single other
> users at a time or would you like to query all the content
> with a single query? (Obviously respecting access control)
>
> If yes, I would recommend to store all the "home directories"
> in a single workspace, since this would allow to query with
> a single query.

Nothing is written in stone for us yet. We will happily place all
users' content in a single workspace if that makes the best
architectural sense.

> > Is there anything so far that wouldn't be well served by building on
> > top of Jackrabbit?
> Personally, I think this is a very well suited set of requirements
> for a JCR-based application.

Cool :-)

> > Am I right in assuming (given my ideas above) that cross-workspace
> > queries are perfectly possible, and that all that is required is a
> > separate, logged-in Session to each one?
> Queries operate on a single workspace.
>
> In your scenario there is not really a drawback of using a single
> workspace, or in other words not really a need to incurr the
> overhead of a "per user workspace". Multiple workspaces become
> a requirement if you want to leverage the cross-workspace
> methods such as merge(), update(), clone() etc...

Okay. That makes sense.

> > Can you envisage any issues (performance or otherwise) with my
> > pitifully meagre outline? Any sage words of advice on how to best
> > start architecting my repository?
> I think using JCR for an application like yours is great.
> I would also recommend to hack away and inform this list of
> possible perfomance bottlenecks that you run into.

Will do. We're hoping to run some basic tests in a couple of days.

> The good news about using a standard like JCR is that you
> are not bound to a single implementation, meaning that if
> you find out, a couple of years down the road that Jackrabbit
> doesn't cover your performance needs anymore you can
> always switch to commercial or other opensource alternatives.

Yep. We were part of the way towards implementing our own content
repository when we found JSR-170. Our main user requirement is a
snappy user experience, which equates to rapid query results.
Hopefully JackRabbit will fit the bill, like most Jakarta projects do
;-).

Many thanks Michael.

--
Sean Dynan