jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "dan" <danz8...@hotmail.com>
Subject What is the better approach for publishing contents?
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:02:17 GMT
Hi All,

I'm quite new to Jackrabbit and am at the point of deciding how the
versioned contents should be published / accessed in my application. Could
anyone advise / comment on the question below? Thanks in advance.

Application background:

All contents are versioned, and labelled with tags like "Live", "Pending",
"Draft" etc. When a new version is published, I would check it in and label
it as "Live". When new revision is being created, I would do a quick
check-out/check-in, to create a new "Draft" version. Then check it out for
modification. This is because the business requirement asks that the "Live"
version should be always available until a newer version is published.

Web users only see "Live" contents and they need to be able to search "Live"
contents by specifying multiple metadata values.

I have been considering two options:

1.	Create a "Live" Workspace which "clones" all "Live" versions of
content nodes in the authoring workspace. Content searches are always
performed against the "Live" workspace.
2.	Use the Version labels and all content access and searches are
performed against the version storage, by getting the "Live" version from
the version history.

The first option seems easier to implement and the second one is also
attempting because it saves storage space as well as the extra work of
maintaining a "mirroring" workspace.

For the second option, I'm especially interested in learning from you gurus
about its impact on searching for contents, because in that case, all "live"
contents would be the version storage. And any search must be performed
within either nt:Version or nt:VersionHistory.

Which is a better approach according to your experience?

Best Regards,

Dan