jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Backing up the repository
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:28:21 GMT
Hi,

On 8/1/06, mikko.peltonen@netikka.fi <mikko.peltonen@netikka.fi> wrote:
> What are the current options of backing up a Jackrabbit repository that uses
> SimpleDbPersistenceManager and/or DbFileSystem? Can I just shut down the
> repository, backup repository home directory and DB (by the means supported by
> the db) and be able to do repository disaster recovery from those backups??

Until the backup/restore tool is finished, you have two main options:

1) Use the system view XML format to backup the content of your
workspaces. This allows hot backups, but doesn't support easy
restoring of namespaces, node types, or version histories.

2) Shut down the repository and use file-system (and optionally
database) level backup tools. This gives you a complete snapshot of
the entire repository, but requires a complete shutdown.

> I'm aware of the GSoC project for a backup tool, but that seem not to support
> DbPM/FileSystem at least initially?

It does. The current design of the backup tool works mostly on top of
the JCR API using a slightly customized version of the system view XML
format along with other information to provide a relatively complete
backup of the entire repository. The restore part of the tool should
be finished by the end of the summer.

BR,

Jukka Zitting