jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: <basicsearch> [was: Any commercial real world implementations out there]
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 18:09:26 GMT
Darren Hartford wrote:
> I had made a request to the mailing list several months ago about
> mapping a <basicsearch> query to an Xpath/Xquery, but there were no
> that don't normally cross-pollinate).
>
> This does bring up back to the original question - how to enable
> Jackrabbit to do DASL <basicsearch>.  As mentioned by others in the
> past, two possible approaches could be:
>
> *Map a DASL <basicsearch> to an equivalent JCR/Xquery-Xpath query and
> re-map the results back. This could be shared with the JCR expert group
> if this works out, or share deficiencies related to JCR-implementations
> with WebDAV interfaces.
>
> *Look at a writing a new QueryEngine/Handler
> (http://jackrabbit.apache.org/doc/arch/operate/query.html) specifically
> for DASL <basicsearch>.
>
> Based on Julian's feedback, it may be that option 1, mapping to an
> equivalent Xpath, is not be a good approach after all.

Darren,

I'm currently working on an related issue in a (for now) closed-source
project. As mentioned earlier, there are queries you can do with
DASL/basicsearch and that won't work in JCR; and the other way around.
Thus, there is no simple answer.

When I'm done, I may be able to provide a more complete list of feature
mismatches. For instance, in addition to the scope problems I mentioned
earlier, there's also the problem that DASL/basicsearch uses the SQL
logic for boolean comparisons
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-latest.html#three-valued-logic>).

while JCR doesn't (as far as I can tell, that is...).

Best regards, Julian